Nowadays, decorating rooms, especially living room is becoming the normal thing to do. Be it minimalist or grand design, people do love decorating their homes using various ornaments. In here, I am going to give you several ideas to beautify your living rooms.
Wall Hanging Tapestry or Wall Art
Want to try something unique yet simple and easy to prepare? These ideas might surprise you.
- Hand Printed Rug
You have a white wall in your living room, and it feels empty since nothing is there. To create a unique decoration, you can try making hand-printed rug or tapestry. While it is often being associated with a teenager or college students, the tapestry is great choice to give your room an edgy atmosphere.
What You Need:
- Canvas (your desired choice)
- Permanent markers
- Sewing machine
- First of all, you need to check the edge of your canvas. If it has not finished, you can fold the edge and make stitch across the fold using a sewing machine. Iron the canvas out flat.
- Draw your preferred design and sketch using the pencil.
- Color the pattern using the permanent markers.
- Add a rug pad underneath if you want to put the tapestry on the floor.
- If you want to hang it on the wall, you need to make hanger or just simply hang it using nails.
- Notes: although the canvas is washable, the color of the tapestry will fade a little bit.
- Feather Wall Hanging
Unleash your inner boho-chic princess with this feather wall hanging. It reminds you of the dream catcher and it can be the alternatives for room decorations.
What You Need:
- Spray paint
- Suede Lace
- Wood Dowel
- Spray the tips of feathers with spray paint. Let them dry.
- Double knot suede lace to each end of the wood dowel.
- Tie a piece of suede to the stem of the feather. You can tie them in different length. Repeat the process.
- Make sure to tie the knot facing the back so it does not show on the front
- Batik Dye Wall Hanging
Batik Dye lighten up your room, especially if you choose contrast color. For example, black batik dye will catch your attention if you hang it on your white wall.
What You Need:
- Drop cloth or heavy cotton canvas
- Paraffin wax or beeswax
- Crockpot or double boiler
- Liquid Dye
- Paintbrushes (old ones will do)
- Cut the fabric to your preferred size and sketch your intended design.
- Heat the paraffin or beeswax in a double boiler on the stove. The estimated heat should be around 80ºC (170’F).
- Using the paintbrush, apply the wax to the design. Trace over the design carefully. Make sure the wax is heated to enough temperature so that it absorbs well into the fabric. Allow the wax to harden.
- Mix liquid dye with warm water in a plastic bucket. You can experiment with the ratio of the dye and water.
- Put on gloves, and dip the fabric into the dye. Let it soak to achieve a darker color. Usually, it takes 15 minutes.
- Rinse with room temperature water and hang to dry.
- To remove the wax, place paper towel on top and bottom of the fabric. Iron it until the wax lifted from it. Replace the paper towel as you iron the fabric.
- Lyric Wall Art
Do you have a particular lyric from your favorite song that sticks on your head 24/7? Why don’t turn it into the beautiful wall art?
What You Need:
- Vintage painting
- Letter stickers
- White paint or spray paint
- Cut out the letter stickers to complete the sentence of your chosen words. It takes time so you have to be patient.
- Stick those letters in the painting, then coat it with the white paint.
- Let the paint dry, then peel off the letters carefully.
- Now you got your special art. You can hang it on the wall or put it in the corner of your living room.
Small Living Room Decoration Ideas
But what if your house has a rather small living room? Then, you might want to apply these decoration ideas to make space looks bigger and spacious.
- Decorate with Mirrors
Decorating your living room with mirrors will not only give the vibe of the spacious area but also a bright room as well. That is because when you place mirrors strategically, it will give an illusion of larger space.
You need to put a mirror in central place to create a focal point. It is best to put the mirror across the window. Why is that so? By putting the mirror across the window, it reflects the view, absorb lights, and gives the illusion of another window.
- Draws the Eye Upward
For a room with high ceiling, the way to decorate it is using artwork and decorate the floor. This way, the eyes are drawn upward. You can play with drapes, an aesthetic one if I could say. It is better to go with neutral colors like brown.
Another way is to put art ornaments like painting or handcrafted wood. So, if you enter the room, the attention will shift from the ornaments to the ceiling.
- Use Neutral Colors
Neutral colored furniture, walls, or floor makes the room appear bigger. If using off-white or beige, the room seems like expanding automatically because it appears to push back the walls. Neutral colors also have calming attributes. When you enter the living room with neutral colors, you will feel homey instantly.
- Choose Furniture Wisely
Are you thinking of shopping furniture for the living room? Do keep these in your mind: pick the furniture with lightweight appearance. Choose the ones with pale or bright colors and those with legs. Do avoid the box types since it consumes more space. Another thing to notice is that when buying tables, you can try the glasses one. As it is transparent and sees through, it will make the area more open.
- Small Furniture
Tight space can be adjusted by putting small-scale furniture. It won’t take more spaces than necessary. Sofa with thin arms or armless chairs is the best option out there. It is simple but not overpowering the room.
Photo Wall Ideas
Next on our lists of ideas are the photo wall ideas. Turning a vacant space in your wall into a gallery wall can be so much fun. You can try decorating the wall based on the frame size of the picture, or to combine and mix several different ideas as well.
- Pretty Pink
Do you have any paintings with pink colors? Do you have the paintings with various shades of pink? Then, try to create a pinky gallery. You can display the watercolors painting and add modern touch by giving some gold or silver accents.
- Modern Touch
Putting your black and white paintings or printed pictures would never go wrong. As a matter of fact, black and white are everlasting colors, which means that you can always play with it. Add some vase of flowers and now you are ready to show off!
- Abstract Gallery
Bored of the same size frame when putting together your pictures? What about trying to get them to a different size? Even though it is abstract, it still catches attention. And that is what you need for displaying and decorating your room.
- Pyramid Display
If you are using the shelf to display your pictures, make it so that at the bottom of the shelf is the small sizes pictures. Move up to the second shelf, you can put the bigger ones, and on top of the shelf, you can just put one or two big pictures or paintings.
- Bulletin Board Photo Wall
If you are the type of person who does not want to put anything directly into the wall, you might want to consider to collect your pictures on a big bulletin board. Although you have to work twice, it will be worth it.
Other Decoration Ideas
Besides those ideas above, you might also want to try some of this.
- Chalkboard Wall Paint
With chalkboard, you can write anything, basically! You can write motivation words for the day or simply draw something to make your day brighter. Although originally it works best in kitchen or kids room, I think putting it in the living room gives playful atmosphere.
- Rack of Wine Corks
If you have wine corks in your home and you do not know what to do with them, why don’t you turn them into the rack? At first, it is intended to become a rack for a necklace, but I think, it fits as jacket holder too.
- Floating Bookshelf
A floating bookshelf? Is that a magic? Of course, it is not! But, you can give an illusion of floating books when making this shelf. It is surely fun and fascinating.
- Personalized Handwritten Canvas
Write in a blank canvas something personal. Something you would like the world to understand or know about you. Or, you can pour any artistic ideas, even though people won’t likely understand. But hey, all of us got an artist inside, aren’t we?
- Mosaic CD Mirror
Turn unusable CD into mosaic CD mirror. Break or smash them into pieces, and paste them on the mirror frame using hot glue. It is unique and majestic.
- Gold Flower Pot or Vase
A luxurious look can be created by spraying metallic gold color to a vase or flower pots. It brings grand design to your home!
Those are ideas to decorate your living room. Actually, it is not limited only to the living room, but other rooms as well. May you grasp the ideas and implement them cheerfully to your home! Happy decorating!
My Author Bio
Octavianus Tri Harjanto is an entrepreneur, publisher, and editor who is passionate about wonderful home design ideas. He’s written extensively to help people gather ideas for creating & maintaining marvelous homes. He will support you with inspiring visuals of cool homes, artistic garden, architectural marvels and up to date design trends. Find him here on Militantvibes.
Visit our blog for more useful articles.